The Sugar House Rotary Club was originally composed of 22 members. Its first official meeting was on April 30, 1936, at the Odd Fellows Hall, 2040 1/2 South, 1100 East.
A Chronological History
February 4, 1936
Salt Lake City Rotary Club "waives territorial rights" permitting Rotary International to organize a Club at Sugar House.
April 30, 1936
First meeting after organization. Officers chosen by ballot:
- Marvin O. Ashton - President
- Willard B. Richards, Jr. - Vice President
- Charles Lobb - Secretary
- Charles R. Snelgrove - Treasurer
- George Lucas - Director
- Rev. Herbert W. Reherd - Director
- A.C. Smoot - DIrector
June 18, 1936
Charter issued by Salt Lake Club under supervision of Cecil Crockwell, Will H. Lovesy and Will Lowe at the Pinecrest Inn in Emigration Canyon. This marked the first time in the history of Rotary that a city of less than one mission and received a charter where there was already another club. All original 22 charter members attended.
September 1, 1938
Rotary Anns of the Sugar House Rotary Club was organized. Mrs. L.H. (Ella) Stratford became the first president.
The Rotary Club of Sugar House had 22 charter members:
|Jed L. Ashton||Samuel C. Leaver||Rev. Herbert W. Reherd|
|Marvin O. Ashton||W.H. Linnell||Willard B. Richards, Jr.|
|George W. Burbidge||Charles J. Lobb||Dr. Thomas E. Robinson|
|John Burt, Jr.||George Lucas||Allen L. Seegmiller|
|Lawrence Clements||Dr. William R. Middlemiss ||A.C. Smoot|
|C.O. Hawhurst||Dr. E.E. Monson||Charles R. Snelgrove|
|Theodore P. Jorgensen ||Grant Morgan|
|Dr. W.H. Landmesser||Allan G. Pyper|
Members who have been District Governors for Rotary District 5420.
|Holger M. Larsen||1960 - 1961|
|Charles H. "Chic" Stratford ||1971-1792|
|Ray D. Free||1975 - 1976|
|A. Jack Ehlers||1980 - 1981|
|C. Laird Snelgrove||1985 - 1986|
|Samuel C. Leaver||1993 - 1994|
|Wally B. Brown||2003 - 2004|
|Charles R. Cambra, III||2011 - 2012|
A History of Sugar House
"...a nice place to live and do business..."
Under the leadership of Orson Pratt, an advance company of Mormon Pioneers with 60 wagons left the mouth of Emigration Canyon on July 22, 1847. Following the stream in a southwesterly direction on the way to the valley floor, they passed only a few blocks north of the present intersection of 21st South and 11th East. The company camped that night near what is now 5th East and 17th South. Brigham Young entered the Salt Lake Valley two days later and observed this camp of more than 100 persons.
Sugar House received its name on April 23, 1854. On that day, leaders of the Mormon Church called a meeting for the purpose of organizing an ecclesiastical ward. Margaret McMeans Smoot, affectionately called "Ma Smoot," suggested the name "Sugar House" after the factory, which was currently being constructed in the area.
In the early years of settlement, Sugar House prospered and was noted for many industrial "firsts" in the Utah Terriroty. The many enterprises that the Sugar House area developed included:
- flour mill
- sugar beet factory
- paper mill
- bucket, churn, tub and barrel factory
- nail factory
- woolen and carding mill
- cotton gin
- glass button factory
- iron foundry
- chemical and powder works
- match factor
- first Cocoonery and mulberry tree farm owned by Birgham Young
Westminster College, a distinctive Sugar House institution for learning, opened on April 12, 1875, as "Salt Lake Collegiate Institute." In 1912, it moved to its current campus on 1300 East and 1700 South. In 1922, the college took the name "Westminster College."
The centerpiece of Sugar House -- the Plaza Monument -- was dedicated on November 17, 1934, and erected in honor of the first sugar mill established in the Western hemisphere.
Sugar House is located five miles southeast of downtown Salt Lake City. It is not an incorporated community, but a part of Salt Lake City. The boundaries of Sugar House have never been agreed upon.